Lemons E30 Build Part Two… IS Parts Car Teardown
In the last post, we’d bought a $500.00 e30 to go Lemons racing, discovered it was broken, decided to buy a 325is parts car to fix it, and spent a day picking up the parts car from Watsonville…
Since the 325is was our parts car, we decided to immediately tear into it to get rid of the shell, as we were taking two spaces on Ash’s drive…
Hood / Bonnet off and ready for the engine to come out:
Wings off, radiators, fan, bumper, grille and lights out:
Here the engine is starting to come out:
Ash surveying the “carnage:”
Here I am, leveling the motor out:
And with my wrenching ‘tash:
We got the engine out and onto the stand. What you can’t see from this picture is the trashed transmission case from the driveshaft incident, and a bent driveshaft from when it was flying around the car at about 55mph.
We were then able to push the car into the garage and continues stripping it down, with help from Adam, Julien, Chris, Matt, Fed, and Ash and his kids.
Here you can see the shell stripped and loaded onto the rental trailer. That was NOT easy without any wheels or suspension! Good job we had MARMS (code for Adam’s strong arms, as opposed to my terrible back) and Matt on hand.
We trailered the shell to the scrapyard the following day:
Off to car heaven…
It was at this point we started to consider the implications of all we had done. We’d stripped the “fast” 325is and were going to have to refit everything to the “slow” 325e. While I was racing with the Bernal Dads team, we’d had an experience where a brand new tyre was ruined by flat spotting it. I also learned that brake modulation is super hard while racing in a pack. With all of this in mind, we started to think about the many implications of fitting the fast stuff from the 325is to the 325e… For example, the 325e, an early pre-facelift car, didn’t come with ABS, which is rather useful for racing (especially for a team of mixed abilities). To retrofit it, we had to cut the ABS off of the IS car for welding to the e. This is just one example from a long list of similar items to alter / fabricate.
In the interim, we needed a rear transmission case to replace the trashed one from the “driveshaft” incident. That sent me back to the oh-so-trusty Craigslist, but nothing turned up locally, so I posted a want ad. I got a couple of responses, including one for a Getrag 260 transmission with worn out bearings, offered for $40.00 in San Jose.
I got back in the car and trundled down to San Jose (again) to pick up the transmission for its rear case.
Thanks to Fiid for the engine crane and stand loan, and to Matt for lending a hand and taking photos.