Open Letter to LinkedIn
I am pissed off.
I spent a whole week working on the launch of a news digest, only for you not to send out the announcement.
I got buy-in from leading players, I got great contributors, I did interviews, I generated buzz. For what? 43 clicks so far- yeah great- considering my audience should have been 13,000 people.
Now here’s the problem- if I resend it today, I won’t be able to send out this week’s digest on Friday and every Friday thereafter. You haven’t responded whether we can have extra announcement credits. The longer you take to respond the less value it has.
Here’s the problem- you’re not paying attention to the 1-9-90 theory of participation inequality:
User participation often more or less follows a 90-9-1 rule:
- 90% of users are lurkers (i.e., read or observe, but don’t contribute).
- 9% of users contribute from time to time, but other priorities dominate their time.
- 1% of users participate a lot and account for most contributions: it can seem as if they don’t have lives because they often post just minutes after whatever event they’re commenting on occurs.
A the moment I’m part of the 1% of people adding value to the platform and I don’t feel like you’re recognising the value we add and that we have different needs to the other 99%.
I need to know if announcements are down. I shouldn’t have to look in the group managers group to see if it’s working (because you can’t announce it there either)- the interface should have told me. At the very least email me, but don’t let me think it’s worked only for it to not to work. That’s unacceptable in SaaS.
SaaS? Yes- while we might not all pay- you’re a brilliant example of the freemium model at work with amazing network effects. But seriously, groups is really important to us- I use it more than any other LinkedIn feature- what do your stat’s say- the best online networking you’ve got to offer?
OK- it doesn’t help that I’ve been ill the last few days (more than man flu) but I’m still really pissed off and embarrassed for all the effort my contributors put in, for it not to go out.
Customer Service and Product Management #FAIL